Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Breakfast Cake

The actual name for this recipe is "Baked Oatmeal" and that's exactly what it is. I came across this recipe a while back and liked that it really was oatmeal, just in baked form with the sweetness baked right in, eliminating the need to stir in brown sugar or whatever. I changed the name to "Breakfast Cake" because I was afraid my kids wouldn't eat it if I called it what it was. They loved it the first time I made it and this dish is requested on a regular basis around here.
Ingredients:
*2 cups oats
*2/3 cup brown sugar
*1 tsp. baking powder
*1/2 tsp. salt
*1 cup milk
*1 egg
*1/2 cup applesauce
*1/2 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
1. Combine and stir dry ingredients.

2. In separate bowl, combine wet ingredients, mix well.

3. Mix wet ingredients into dry.

4. Pour into greased 8x8-inch baking dish.

5. Bake 35-40 minutes at 350-degrees.*

Notes:
-*The longer it's baked, the chewier the top. I bake the the full 40 minutes. For a softer texture, shorten baking time.

Serving Suggestion: Top with butter, if desired, and whipped topping. Milk could also be poured over the top and it could be eaten like real oatmeal.

Recipe Source: Adapted from somewhere... I just can't remember where.

No comments: