Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Boring Breakfast Bars

It is with some hesitation that I post this recipe. A while back I was looking for a recipe for some kind of breakfast bar and came upon a recipe that looked promising. I was sorely disappointed. The end result of said recipe was, in my opinion, a dessert, and not a great one at that. I knew I would never feed that recipe to my kids for breakfast and it wasn't good enough to earn a spot in my dessert section.

I began making adjustments, adding and substituting this, reducing and eliminating that and ended up with this recipe. I was not impressed, but to my surprise, the kids loved it. I don't know why. Honestly, it's a bit bland and, well, just boring. But they like it so I make it. Which is why it is included here. Because someday when this blog makes it to book form, it will be for my kids.

Ingredients:
*1 1/2 cups oats
*1 cup whole wheat flour
*1/2 cup brown sugar
*1/2 tsp. salt
*1/2 tsp. baking powder
*1/2 tsp. baking soda
*1/2 tsp. cinnamon
*1/2 cup applesauce
*1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

Directions:
1.  Combine all ingredients and mix well.  Mixture will be thick.

2.  Spread into greased 9x13-inch pan.

3.  Bake 15 minutes at 350-degrees.

Serving Suggestion:  Serve with fruit or yogurt.

No comments: