Sunday, May 20, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies

For years I have been on the search for a "perfect" chocolate chip cookie recipe.  My mom uses a wonderful recipe but her's requires a "secret" ingredient, one that I don't keep in my food storage.  When I have an impulse to make cookies, I want to know that I already have everything I need in my house so I've looked and looked and tried many different recipes.  I finally found one that fits the bill.

I discovered this recipe online a while back, made it one day and it was pretty darn good.  After some tweaking and experimenting, perfection was achieved.  And yes, the ingredient measurements are by weight.  And yes, you have to do it that way to get the perfect results.  I have learned that measuring by weight is the most accurate way to get not only the desired results, but consistency as well.

Ingredients:
*14.5 oz flour
*1 tsp. baking soda
*1 tsp. salt
*6 oz. butter, softened
*6.5 oz. brown sugar
*6.5 oz. white sugar
*2 eggs
*1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
*10-12 oz. chocolate chips.

Directions:
1.  Combine flour, soda, and salt in bowl.  Mix until evenly distributed, then set aside.

2.  Using a wire whisk attachment of a stand mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy.  This may take anywhere from 1-3 minutes.

3.  Add both sugars and beat on high 1-2 minutes.

4.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Beat well.

5.  Switch to paddle attachment and gently mix chocolate chips.

6.  Add flour mixture and mix just until incorporated.  Do NOT over-mix!


7.  Dough should feel sticky but shouldn't actually stick much to your fingers.  Add a little more flour if needed.

8.  Measure and roll dough into 1.5 oz. balls.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.

9.  Flatten ever so slightly.

10.  Bake at 375-degrees for 8-10 minutes.  (9 minutes is perfect in my oven.)

Notes:
-If making smaller cookies, bake for less time.

-These cookies freeze and thaw really well.

Recipe Source:  Adapted from theperfectchocolatechip.com

No comments: