Thursday, May 24, 2012

Enchilada Soup

I was first introduced to Enchilada Soup when I went to lunch one day at Chili's with my grandma.  It was so delicious!  I figured it probably wasn't low-calorie, but I slurped up two or three bowls of it.  Some time later I came across the calorie content of said soup and was disgusted.  I'll never order it again.  But it was soooo good!  That is where my quest for healthy enchilada soup recipe began.  It was a long quest.  I tried several recipes.  Some were okay and some were gross.  Finally, I found a recipe for homemade enchilada sauce that turned out to be pretty good.  I put my tweaking skills to work and viola!, a healthy and delicious enchilada soup.
Ingredients:
*2-8oz cans tomato sauce
*2 cups water
*1 tsp. chili powder
*1 tsp. cumin
*1 tsp. salt
*1/2 tsp. garlic powder
*1/2 tsp. oregano
*3 Tbsp. cornstarch
*1 cup almond milk (or regular milk)
* 1 chicken breast, cooked, cubed and seasoned (optional)
*1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
*cheese for garnish (optional)

Directions:
1.  In sauce pan, combine tomato sauce, water,chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and oregano.  Bring to slight boil. 

2.  Reduce heat.

3.  Add a little water to cornstarch to make a paste.

4.  Very slowly, whisk cornstarch into soup.

5.  Add almond milk.

6.  Add chicken and beans, if desired.

7.  Garnish with cheese before serving.

Serving Suggestion:
-Goes great with quesadillas.  

No comments: